3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HELP! Killed by a Ghost

Need some help restarting XP after Norton Ghost 2003 appears to have hosed my boot sector. Set up Ghost to clone C: to another FAT32 partition. Rebooted, and went to ghost, but all that happened was a blank ghost screen and an hourglass. After 30 mins of watching this, restarted the computer, and chose "return to windows" from the first menu. Nothing happened: no disc activity, no return to windows, nothing. Restarted and went to the second menu "the previous operation failed to complete", and selected "reboot to windows", to the same effect. Then tried to exit to dos and run ghreboot, and unsurprisingly the same thing happened.

So now I have no way of booting into windows. I can navigate through the command system in PCDOS, but can't find any useful executables that will get me back into windows. I have the command console installed, but going through that directory I similarly can't find an executable that will get me in from DOS.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Ghost?

Can anyone help me get back into windows, and remind me how I fix the boot partition.

Might this have anything to do with the fact I use LiLo as my boot loader as a result of a short lived flirting with linux (not enough life left)? I doubt this, as that shouldn't affect how ghost runs, even if it mucks up the rebooting process.

Would really appreciate any help. So much for the reliability of Ghost.

I should mention that my windows xp system partition is fat32, not ntfs.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HELP! Killed by a Ghost

Problem solved, it was a SATA access issue. Still can't get ghost to work right, even with -FNI switch, but have got my computer back. Will edit this post to provide more details later for future searcheable reference.