2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

edit system config (xp)

i have been givein a database on a cd which has a small glitch in the install program so i have to install the program manullay.

the directions ask me to goto C;Winntsystem32config.nt and make sure the buffers = 20
    and files equal=120

(these are minimum values, larger is ok)

but I have XP, how can i do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: edit system config (xp)

I don't have a similar legacy DOS application, so I can't say how this will work, but it's certainly worth a try. The CONFIG.NT file does exist in XP and will probably be in your C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32 folder. I'd go ahead and edit the file with Notepad or similar editor and add the two entries. See what happens to your database app. If it stops complaining, you've made headway. Otherwise you can later remove the two lines easily. Let us know how you make out. Adding entries to this file should NOT adversely impact the operation of Win XP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP may hove more information for you.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

An important point, which may be buried deeply in the article Joe points to, is that your changes to CONFIG.NT do not come into effect until you log off and log on again. This can be a right pain if you make many changes...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...