New Lounger
    Thanks

LAC slow to initialise (XP Pro/SP2)

Hi,

I have searched far and wide for a solution on this and would appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer.

Here's the situation; my XP SP2 home PC is connected to a DHCP enabled router however the PC itself is really slow to initalise the Local Area Connection during the XP start up routine, therefore as other items are starting up they are looking for the LAC to be present, it's not so I get all sorts of errors saying 'no connection', by the time we get towards the end of the startup routine the LAC drops in and connects to the net, by this time it's too late.

Therefore my question is can I prioritise the startup of the LAC so it's the first, or least one of the first, to occur? I have found now way of doing this through admin tools and I have done everything I can to streamline this process including fixing the IP from the router so it doesn't have to negoiate with the DHCP server.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Neil

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: LAC slow to initialise (XP Pro/SP2)

It sounds almost if you are getting data errors on your connection. Is there anything in the System Event Log* regarding connection errors shortly after power-up time (perhaps also check the Application Event Log, but it's unlikely you will find much/anything relevant there)...

Have you tried changing the ethernet patch cable(s)?

John

* Right-click on My Computer, then click on Manage, then select Event Viewer, then System
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hey John,

Cheers for the reply, I've checked the log and apart from a couple of errors to do with Netlogon and lots of 'Information' hits the log doesn't seem to have elements in there that would highlight a problem (or at least things that in my limited knowledge would be a problem).

The Patch cables have been tested on a company Ethernet tester and come up as ok.

Neil

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Neil

Humour me and try alternative patch cables! (Mainly because I can't think of another reason...!).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Done...and.....no change [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Next......

Neil

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do you power on your equipment in right order?

1. Power on your cable modem
    2. After 30 sec power on your router/DHCP
    3. After 1 min power on your computer

New Lounger
    Thanks

Er no as I use an ADSL modem/router so there's no concept of 'correct order'. Connection is always on so the PC is powered and should get the connection immediately.

The main thing I need is the capability to initialise the LAN connection earlier than it is at the moment.

Neil

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If the connection is initialized by a program supplied by your ADSL provider you can rename the startup shortcut to get it to start earlier. If it is up to XP then you can't do anything.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thanks but I think we are talking at cross purposes here. The ADSL modem/router has the connection all the time (I believe commonly called 'nailed up'), there is no downtime associated with it and no shortcut or initialisation system for this type of connection.

As mentioned previously it's actually Local Area Network in XP that I'd like to prioritise, i.e. get it to start earlier in the boot sequence to ensure the connection is there for the other programs. Someone told me there is some way using the Admin suite to set the priority of the LAC to a higher value so starts earlier however I see no way of doing this.

There must be a way to do this, surely?

Neil

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm really quite puzzled by this one. What are these "other programs" which require to have the local LAN active so early in the boot-up process? Why don't they take the standard approach: "retry every few seconds for several times until the LAN is active, otherwise give timeout message"?

As Joe says, you are very limited in this area because Windows XP (thinks it) knows best about startup order.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Regardless of the presence of a connection all the time, when the system is booted Windows or a program supplied by the ADSL vendor must initialize the network connection. You are calling this the LAN connection. If there was not any software that the ADSL vendor required then XP will do the initialization. There is quite a bit of work going on these days to get a connection to the outside world functional. Even if you have a third party firewall installed the Windows firewall is run early in the boot process. This protects your system during the time when the network is being initialized. That means doing whatever validation is required, acquiring an IP address, etc. During this time only a very limited amount of traffic is allowed. Once the network is initialized and you third party firewall is initialized the Windows firewall is shutdown and normal traffic is allowed. I doubt that you can (or really want to) affect this process very much.

Joe
    Joe