Thread: Excel (2k)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel (2k)

Is there a known issue with Excel 2k in regards to it not copying formulas from one cell to another? Example~IF I have =b115 in a cell. Then copy it to another cell it will not show b115 unless I manually re-enter -b115. Any ideas??

Dan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel (2k)

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but...

B115 is a relative reference, so if you copy it to another location, the address will be incremented by the number of rows and columns that you have moved it.

If you want to copy this cell and still have it reference B115, then you must change it to an absolute reference, =$B$115

However, if you move the formula by a cut and paste or a drag-and-drop, then the formula will remain =B115

Hope this helps, if not just reply back with more details. --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response. I'll try to explain a bit better. If in the cell b115 I have 114. I set b12 to = b115 I ahve 114 in b12. If I copy the formula in b12 to b13 I get nothing in b13 unless I go in and manually type =b115. It seems as if when it gets copied it loses its association.

Hope this is clearer.

Dan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

But you do have somthing in B13. Look in the formula bar (should be just below the toolbars. It says =B116. When you copy a relative reference down one row, its formula has the row incremented by one. Change the formula in B12 to =$B$115. This is called an absolute reference. Now when you copy it, it will always give you the value of B115.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just one word of warning!! If you then move column B to say Column D, then the formula containing =$B$115 will then become =$D$115. In other words the absolute reference follows the data and is not tied to a specific cell reference.