4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network - Cannot see other PC's

I

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Network - Cannot see other PC's

You say that you "Disabled" the firewall on each machine. When you do this the "Windows Firewall" will kick in if the disabled firewall is a third party type. Some firewalls are NOT fully turned OFF when they are disabled.

Enter the IP addresses of each machine in the other machine's firewall as safe addresses. This should allow the visiting machine access to the provided shares.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd better check the Windows Firewall bit.

I did remove the 3rd party firewalls from the msconfig Start-up (and re-booted )to try and ensure that the firewall truly was off, but I forgot to check the situation with the Windows Firewall. But hopefully, I've manage to "disable" the 3rd Party Firewall.

While typing this, I've just remembered that the Belkin Router also has a Firewall element to it. I'd better disable that as well.

I'll have a look at IP addresses as well.

Thanks

Colin

Thanks

Colin,
    I would not disable the router firewall as this is your first line of defence (and, in fact, as you have disabled the other firewalls, it is your only line of defence) and should not be enabled on the internal ports of your router anyway (I'm assuming this is a combined hub/switch and router). The third-party firewalls should all have the capability to add an internal network address range to their trusted zones so in reality you should not need to disable them anyway. I strongly suspect Dave is right and that Windows Firewall has kicked in and is blocking internal communications.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As you suspected, the Windows Firewall has switched itself on. I suppose its good practice in one respect, but surely they should give you a system message to tell you.

Anyway, I still cannot see these other PC's on the network.

I have re-instated the router Firewall (yes it is a combined router/hub).

I worry the use of the words "You might not have permissions...." when I try to connect. Could this be User issues?

Colin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

For the Microsoft viewpoint see Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Have you tried re-enabling the third-party firewalls and then restarting all your machines? Many TP firewalls will automatically sense a network and ask you how you want to handle it.
    The Windows Firewall in my experience has a tendency to lie when it claims to be switched off - I generally find you have to manually disable it for each network adapter before it really lets go of them! Unfortunately, I am not in front of an XP machine at the moment so can't walk you through the exact steps for that but hopefully someone else can. (I think it's on the Exceptions tab from memory)
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm now reading the various pages on the Microsoft site that Joe suggested.

Rory's point also seems to have some success. I have used the reset command on the Windows Firewall to clear all user set info, then rebooted with 3rd party firewalls.

This seems to have worked (partly). I can now see 3 of the PC's on the network, but the laptop is still missing. But I'll have a look at that as a separate issue.

Thanks for the help to date.

It's great having your guy's input.

Once again Thanks

Colin