Gold Lounger
    Thanks

How are views counted?

In this forum, each thread has a count of the views.

How is the count determined?

For registered members, the count can eliminate duplicate views by the same member. Does the count do so?

What about for non-registered viewers?

The counter I use at my web site was locally written.
    It bases counts on the IP address, so if there are N consecutive accesses to a page from the same IP address, call this IP-1, the counter gets bumped by only 1.

If some other IP address accesses, the page, the counter then gets bumped by one and if IP-1 again accesses the page, the counter is again bumped by 1.

So, if somebody views any of my pages umpteen times whilst connected to the same IP address, and there are no other IP addresses accessing the pages, the counts only get bumped by 1.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How are views counted?

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by herworth on 01-May-06 20:54. Additional check.
    The third view when I wrote this response was also counted. I'll quit now.
    )</P>I've just tested it by viewing this post twice in quick succession and refreshing after each view and both views were counted. It is conceivable that someone else looked right at the same time but as i did in about 3 secs I think I can safely say that each individual viewing is counted regardless.
    I should really get a life!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How are views counted?

Views to the thread, unless I'm mistaken, are counted each time the SQL statement returns a result for a post within (or starting) the thread.

View 1 - Original posting of the message by the poster (in this case, your question)
    View 2 - The next time anyone, including yourself, views the page as a result of a query against the forum's database (click from list of messages within a forum or a search)
    View 3 - A hard refresh (IE CTRL-F5) of the post.
    Christopher Baldrey