Hyperlink Hijinx in Word2K (Word 2000/ SR1 & Netscape 4.61)

I just read Woody's latest Office Tips about Hyperlinks and it reminded me of a problem I am having.

I have a document in which I have put a hyperlink to a web-based Change Request Form we have. The document is Word 2000/SR-1 and my site's default browser is Netscape 4.61. My OS is Windows 2000 SR-1. When I try to access the form via the hyperlink, Netscape bombs out with an error ("netscape.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program"), then a few seconds later, Netscape launches and the form loads normally.

I am wondering if it's possible to just have the form load normally without bombing. My guess is, there's something about the format of the URL that the Word doesn't like. The URL is as follows:

I'm not sure if this is clear, but this URL logs the person in to the Change Request form with userid "arweb" and a password. As this is on our internal web, you won't be able to access it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Re: Hyperlink Hijinx in Word2K (Word 2000/ SR1 & Netscape 4.61)

To further muddy the water, I can create an Internet Shortcut to this URL on my desktop, and it will work regardless of whether I've set IE or Netscape as my system's default browser--suggesting that both Netscape and IE understand it.

If I set IE as my system's default browser, the URL hyperlink in Word works--it's only when Netscape is my default browser that this URL barfs--unless, of course, I'm linking in from another web page instead of from Word--then it works fine. However, we are a large site, and all of our internal websites and web-based applications have been optimized for Netscape, so switching to IE is not an option.

I can't even tell if the problem is Netscape or Word!

Natalie : )