4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple Users (Access 2003)

I would normally consult my reference book for issues, however, I am away from home and need a quick fix.

I have developed a database (in Access 97 and upgraded to 2003) which has front and back end. I wish to use it in an office where there will be 4 people woriking on it. I have given each user their own version of the Front end on their desktops and linked them individually to the ONE back end which is on the shared drive. How do I set locking permissions so that only one person can work on an individual record at a time. And is it set in the Front or Back end?

Help always appreciated.

kerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple Users (Access 2003)

Tools | Options | Advanced

When a user edits a record, Microsoft Access can automatically prevent others from changing that record until the user has finished editing it.
    Giving one user exclusive access to a record is called locking.
    Under Default record locking, do one of the following:
    To prevent locking of records while you edit them, click No locks.
    To lock all records in the form or datasheet (and the underlying tables) while you edit them, click All records.
    To lock only the record you're editing, click Edited record.

Hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple Users (Access 2003)

To expand on Dave's reply: Default Record Locking (in the Advanced tab of Tools | Options...) is a user-level setting, not a database-level setting, so each user would have to set it. It might be better to set the Record Locks property of each of the forms used to enter/edit data to Edited Record.