Thread: Boot Delays

crisp

Boot Delays

I mainly use a notebook computer running Win98. I connect (as a client) to a number of customer MS networks. When I boot my notebook, AND it is NOT connected to a network, the boot-time increases by about 1 1/2 minutes (presumably as my computer searches for a network connection.

I use a xircom dual ethernet/modem card so it is not feasible to remove the PC card.

The infuriating thing is that on my previous computer (same make and model), I had solved this problem, but omitted to document the solution.

Any help?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boot Delays

Hi Crisp:
    I don't have an answer, BUT there's a utility called a Boot Log Analyzer that will give you a list of what you're computers trying to do when you boot. You might download it from here & see if it gives you a clue.

Hope this helps.

ileacy

Re: Boot Delays

I have a similar problem. My solution is to use the NetSwitcher Utility and change my configurations as needed. The latest version (3.2.1) supports everything up to W2K and has been reliable since I upgraded to it.

I think this will also make your life a lot easier as you move between sites.

A fully functioning trial version is available at
    http://www.netswitcher.com

PS: Several of my NS locations/profiles are described as "Off-Net and Area Code" so that my DUN locations are automatically updated as required.