Thread: filter (2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

filter (2003)

I have a spreadsheet that has client number, vision members, FA contracts, FA members, Dental Members
    I would like to filter the spreadsheet to show records for varying combinations of Vision members, FA contracts, FA members, Dental Members.
    For example, I would like only records where there are vision members and FA Contracts and the other two fields are null. I would like to see records where none of the fields are null etc. Can this be done in Excel. I know I can make queries in Access but the people who are using the spreadsheet, are Access challenged. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: filter (2003)

Make sure that you have column headings (field names) above the data.
    Click in any cell of the table.
    Select Data | Filter | AutoFilter.
    You can now use the arrows that appear next to the column headings to set a filter.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Auto filter is a little limited when it comes to multiple criteria. You should be able to do this using advanced filter in excel. Would it be possible to attach a small dummy file of records that can be used to illustrate how to do this?
    Regards,
    Rudi

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attached is an example of what I need.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

AutoFilter will do nicely here. First, click in the table and select Data | Filter | AutoFilter.
    For example, to view FA Members only, select (Non-Blanks) from the dropdown list in the FA Members column heading. (The dropdown arrow will become blue to indicate that you filtered on this column)
    To view clients who are both FA Members and Dental members, also select (Non-Blanks) from the dropdown list in the Dental Members column heading.
    To view all records again, select Data | Filter | Show All.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works and I will use that if the following isn't possible. Can there be a column with an if statement using the different scenarios. If Dent mem is null, if vis mem is null, "FAONLY". etc. I don't know if this is possible or practical but what they want to do is a pivot table using that field. The names in that field would be FAOnly, FADent, FADentVis, DentOnly, DentVis, VisOnly, FAVis. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Create a new column - in your sample worksheet it would be column E.
    In E1, enter a description such as Membership.
    In E2, enter the formula
    <code>
    =IF(B2="",IF(C2="",IF(D2="","None","VisionOnly"),I F(D2="","DentOnly","DentVis")),IF(C2="",IF(D2=""," FaOnly","FaVis"),IF(D2="","FaDent","FaDentVis")))
    </code>
    and fill down as far as needed. You can use this column in the AutoFilter or in a pivot table.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Looks like what they are looking for - my manager wants to hire you. Thanks for all your help.