3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

import calendar data from excel (outlook/excel 2002)

I have an excel sheet with calandar data i want to import into Outlook. I believe i have the headings of the collumns correct, as I copied them from another spread sheet that I got online for this purpose.
    when I do the Import in outlook and select Excel, it gives me this error:
    "...the file name has no named ranges. Use Microsoft Excel to name the range of data you want to import".

I can't figure out what that means. I did highlight the range and then named it by clicking the name button to the left of the formula field, but that didn't work...or I did something wrong.

help!
    thanks,

Thanks

Re: import calendar data from excel (outlook/excel

It might help to create your own export file of current calendar items for comparison. Just in case the one you found online isn't quite right.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok,
    how do i do that?
    attached is the excel file i currently have. I removed all but one record to simplify for our troubleshooting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The range named "outlook" in the workbook you attached only contains the data, not the field names - that's what Outlook complained about. The range should include the field names, i.e. it should refer to =Sheet1!$A$1:$L$2 instead of =Sheet1!$A$2:$L$2.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok good point. I did that and got a little farther. here is my problem now:
    I go to import this into Outlook. when i get to the box that pops up and says to map custom fields and do that, but the "ok" button remains greyed out, like I'm missing something. probably am, but can't figure it out. I am attaching the excel sheet again because i renamed the headings to match exactly as the ones shown on the map custom field (on the Outlook side..right).
    also, when it shows me my data on the left and right pane, the start date says "2006-04-01 00:00:00", which is a long way to say 4/1/06, but my concern is the start and end time says this: "1899-12-30 12:00:00" and "1899-12-30 13:15:00". Now these are the correct times, however the date thing is wrong, also I don't have my sheet set up for military time.
    any other ideas to set me straight?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's no reason to worry about the 1899 dates - it's an artefact caused by the way Windows stores dates and times.
    I hope someone else can help you further - I have no experience with importing and exporting appointments.