Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Word Paste Corruption (2000 SP3)

I want to paste a graph from Excel to Word using the "Picture" format (Edit, Paste Special). I have been doing this for ages in various documents and suddenly the option is no longer available to me. I only have access to "Excel Object" and "Bitmap". I have tried reinstalling, installing graphics filters, searching Microsoft, etc and cannot find a solution. Can anyone help.

Running under Windows XP SP2

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Paste Corruption (2000 SP3)

Oh OK, I've solved this, BUT the answer might be useful for someone else at some stage. Get this weird behaviour!!!

1) Open Excel, copy graph, open Word, try and paste special and behold NO windows metafile formats available.

2) Open Word, Open Excel, copy graph, switch to word, paste special and behold windows metafile formats ARE available.

Go figure.... <shakes his head in dismay>

RAVE ON
    Sometimes I really hate Microsoft - such an incredible waste of time looking for such an obscure fault when it just should have worked. <and they want me to upgrade to a newer version that has even more obscure bugs and none of these old ones fixed and they want me to pay how much?> Get this Microsoft, I'll buy new software from you when you take some action to sort out the myriad bugs that have existed since forever and not before.
    RAVE OFF

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't want to defend Microsoft, but I think they'd say this is not a 'bug' but a 'feature'.
    When you copy something while Word is not open, it is placed on the Windows clipboard in a format that all Windows applications understand: as a bitmap.
    But if you copy while Word is open, it is placed on the Windows clipboard both as a bitmap (for other applications) and as a metafile (for Word).
    (You don't have to start Word before starting Excel; it is enough to start Word before copying the chart in Excel.)

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I appreciate the explanation - nice to understand what is happening. The thing with Microsoft's features is that they waste so much time. I'm sure that there is a good technical reason why they did it this way, BUT I still spent four hours trying to figure it out before I happened to stumble on the solution. It's not intuitive.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that these things can be frustrating.