3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Excel worksheet (Excel 2002)

I'm hoping that this is a known problem.

We have downloaded information from Deltek Vision report to Excel XP. In Excel we delete extra heading rows and empty rows. There are several columns that have now data, but we figured we would us the Access import to determine which columns to import. In Access 2002 we go to File menu, Get External Data, Import, and select the workbook. In the Access import wizard we check that the first row contains field names and OK the message that some names are not valid (empty cells). On the next screen you can click on the columns to determine the field name and whether you want to import the field. This is where the problem comes in.

On my computer everything works as expected. I click on the field name column and check the box to not import the empty columns. For the owner of the database she can click on the column but the field name at the top of the window does not change to the name displayed for the column. The first column's field name is the only one that displays. If we click Next to just take all the columns, on the step to select the Existing table or the step to select the Primary key, she can't select from the dropdown.

Is there a patch for this issue?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Excel worksheet (Excel 2002)

This is a bug in Access 2002 that remains in SP-3. It might be solved in a post SP-3 hotfix, see You cannot rename or modify a field in the Import Wizard when you try to import data from a text file or from an Excel worksheet into Access 2002. You have to contact Microsoft directly to obtain this hotfix.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Excel worksheet (Excel 2002)

Thanks, Hans.

I'm using SP 2, but I will check my user's system to see if she is on SP3 and get the Hot-fix for Access.