4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Project (Access XP SP 3)

What is the difference between having an Access front end connected to a SQL Back end and an Access Project? Does creating Project file change anything about how the application functions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Project (Access XP SP 3)

An Access database (.mdb) with linked SQLServer tables can contain local tables and queries.
    An Access project (.adp) cannot contain any tables or queries - it uses tables, views etc. stored in SQL server. The project only contains forms, reports, macros, modules and data access pages.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So..............what are the advantages or consequences of choosing one over the other. I am wondering why you would choose an Access Project if you are using Access as a front end development tool. What would be the advantage of not allowing local tables and queries.

Carla

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope someone else can answer your question; I have only used .mdb frontends.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the information. I am just starting to use SQL Server database tables with Access. I would have probably just linked the .mdb front end to the SQL tables, but was wondering if there was some compelling reason to use a Project file.

Carla

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The biggest advantage is that you can build views and stored procedures from the project rather than having to use pass-through queries. You can use the SQL Server equivalent of temporary tables. The disadvantage is that you have to use SQL Server language to build your stored procedures, which is quite different from the Jet query language. Moderator <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile> has been the most active user of SQL Server in this board, and he generally prefers using linked tables.

One of the consequences of using a project is that you can't refer to forms or their controls in your SQL because SQL Server doesn't know anything about Access objects like forms.
    Charlotte