Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replication--one more question (XP)

Last year someone here told me that the reason my replica was failing was due to me making copies of the replica (although after I transferred tham to another hard drive I deleted the copy) --that the replica had to be made ON the drive where it would reside. My reason for having replication is so I can work on the data at home and not need to worry about others also working on it at the office or at their homes-- How do I get a copy of the replica to several different sites unless I happen to have a laptop that is attached to a network? Maybe I cant. One thought is to use an external hard drive and take it home with me. Even if I were to stop letting two people work at the same time, back up becomes a problem. During the two months of the year that I work nearly 20 hours a day 7 days, I get rather tired and worry that I will copy over the days work rather than backing up. (actually, I did that one year--was pretty hard getting all the data recovered from hard copies) Any suggestions? I still have 6 months until Christmas.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replication--one more question (XP)

Good morning Ginger:

I have a replicated application that works quite well. The replica that I created is copied, initially, from a network drive to various laptops that are connected to the network. These laptops are then disconnected from the network and taken out in trucks to dispense tools to various borrowers. At days end the laptops are re-connected to the network and synchronization takes place. The next day, with replicas still on the various laptops, the lending procedure is repeated as is the synchronization. Been running for about 18 months now with minor implications. Copying a replica should not pose problems if the replicas were created properly. You will need to attach to a network at some point in time in order to synchronize your replicas. These shouldn't be treated as free standing applications. Proper synchronization allows your data entered into a replica to be updated to the design master.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

well, that was what I thought; and mine worked well. too. for a long time-- however for two Christmases in a row - in the middle of managing 1800 sets for Christmas gifts for children; the replica suddenly failed. Someone here told me that you can not copy the replica to a different computer (I did delete the extra copies-- made copies from the main computer for all the places it would eventually go i.e. Jill's replica, GingersHomeReplica etc-- made them on the Jump drive along with two Jumpdrive copies-- then when I installed each one on the computer it was to stay on, I deleted it from the jump) then, synchronized with the jumps at end of day and did same at home... don't own a laptop DARN IT. I need to solve this before October. Any suggestions other than to find money for a laptop will be appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might want to try creating a new design master and a new replica, then doing all your copying and shuffling.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did that last year-- (this is the second year that this has happened) Started all over-- copied the tables without all the replication fields-- got the new master set up again--made all new replicas-- had no problems for 8 months-- THEN AGAIN right in the middle of a day--the whole thing refused to synchronize and I was back to square one. I am the director of a small non profit-- I am totally self taught on ACCESS (and all other computer programs) but I am the computer tech for the office since I know the most (many of my volunteers do not know how to use the mouse when they start to volunteer) and we can not afford outside help. This is a rural area and I am always on the hunt for a mentor who knows more than I do--but each time I think I have found someone in the area--turns out I know more than they do *sigh* so I muddle on. I like computers but my field is social work and parenting education.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a given truth: replicas fail. For that reason, you try to limit the damage. Your design master is kept purely for design changes, no data changes. You need a second generation replica as well and you make the other replicas from that child replica. Then if the design master fails, you can recover the child replica as the design master and generate a new child replica. That would involve making new grandchild replicas for all the other machines from the new intermediate stage, but it's the only approach I've ever found that was reasonable safe. Furthermore, if the database is not split, you are more likely to have the replicas fail or get sync error because front end replication is a bad idea. I've done it, and I speak from experience. The data part of the application should be fairly reliable under replication, but replicating front ends is fraught with problems, particularly when using a jumpdrive. Desktop replication, which sounds like what you're using is not an effective or safe way to handle Access replication.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte-- I am confused -- I think you are saying that I should go ahead and use replication the way I had done it last year but to be expecting it to fail somewhere along the way. But toward the end of your message, it sort of sounded like I should not. I am open to advice-- I do have the replication only for the backend (tables only) part of the data base and we do sync it a few time a day during the busiest time of the year. I think you are saying that the design master should be used only as a fail safe and not to keep data-- Does this mean you do not sync it with the other members except when you make a design change (obviously it will then have data changes) I am sorry for so many questions. Two of the office computers are links in a network-- the other office computer is current ly NOT in the network (but we are considering changing that)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, you DO sync with the design master, but only between it and the intermediate replica. The replicas on the various machines should be created from and synced to the intermediate replica, which is then synced to the design master. What I meant was that the design master is never used to directly create the multiple replicas and it is never used to enter data. It will contain data from syncs with the replicas, but because of the nature of replication, design changes are synced first and then data changes. By never trying to enter data at the design master, you eliminate a source of possible data conflicts and corruption.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK-- Take the current Database-- create a design master-- create the intermediate replica and from THAT one create the replicas needed for each computer-- the one that is not connected to the network-- one for each of the jumpdrives which will carry data off the site-- one for each of the computers off site. When the replicas that are for the off site computers have been copied to those computers; delete them from the Jump drives-- sync the drives daily and then the intermediate replica to the maters whenever design changes take place. Does this cover it? Thank you so much for your help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why are you deleting them from the jump drives? I would say instead to create replicas on the remote computers from the copy on the jump drive. Then sync the computer to the jump drive and the jump drives back to the intermediate replica. I'm not sure I understand your situation yet.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

no-- just deleting the copy that was made for the off site desk tops--but suddenly thinking that I should have MADE a replica FROM the copy on the jump drive-- would that be better? Or not matter at all? OK back to work and will set up a new database today -- I prefer replicas; but when it sounded like the copies off site were causing my problems, I decided to go back to backing up to copies and hoping I didnt get too tired to do it the right direction. Thank you for your help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It might be a bit more work to do it that way, but I think it would be more reliable and give you a better fall back position if a replica failed.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How many tables need to be replicated? Is there just one transaction table (for instance) that needs to be replicated?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

29 tables in all-- 4 that have daily changes 3 more that have regular changes but usually less that daily

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One point that Charlotte raised that I don't see an answer too is whether your database is split into a front-end and a back-end. That's a major issue with replicaton.
    Wendell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast