5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PC Clock oddity - W2K

I am very puzzled about the behaviour of my PC clock. Recently it started to show time 5 minutes fast.
    I corrected this using the time display in the system tray. However, after setting the correct time, when the minute changed, the time jumped to be 5 minutes fast again.

So the next time I booted the machine, I altered the CMOS time (which was showing 5 minutes fast). This went OK for a bit but the clock is now showing 7 minutes fast.

Does this indicate impending failure of the CMOS battery/some other component failing? This is the irst time I've had any problems with the clock since I got the PC (4.5 years ago)
    Thanks
    Silverback
    Silverback

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PC Clock oddity - W2K

Probably your CMOS battery is dying. Anyway, you can download and install automated clock synchronization utility as Atomic Clock Sync 2.7.0.3 or similar.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If the times change while it is powered up, it would surprise me if it was the CMOS battery. But if it's that old, paying a few $ for a new one is probably a good move.

If you like BATch files, then I have found that CMDTIME3 down the bottom of this page works very well, particularly if you research time servers local to yourself (I found surprisingly many in the UK!).

When/if you get to run XP you will find that the normal weekly synchronisation which is built-in to XP is usually sufficient, and you can adjust this to be more frequent (to some extent) by changing the registry.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think I'm a confirming example of John's comment. Way back several years ago, the first time I had a complaint from one of my supported folks at work that her computer wouldn't hold the correct time, I changed the battery and that didn't stop the clock drift. My manager told me (do we believe our "managers, or not) that the "clock chip" was probably malfunctioning. You can Google up many hits on that term. In my (technical) ignorance of whether a clock chip was flashable or not, I installed a clock updating freebie, as has been suggested here and we continued to use that machine for a long time thereafter. These days I happen to like AboutTime.