Thread: Something Odd

Thanks

Something Odd

For a while now whenever I right click on the "My Computer" icon on my desk top I get the standard small drop down list, click on "open" and hear my A drive (3 1/2 Floppy) start clicking away. Then the window with all the drives in "My Computer" opens up. This has been happening for a while and I never gave it much though until now. After this happens I can click on "My Computer" many times and the A drive will not click. If I leave my PC idle for a while and click on "my Computer" I get the A Drive clicking again. Is there something causing this? Win 98 SE
    Catz

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Something Odd

Thanks

Thanks Hans. I went to that thread and trired everything, including removing the virus program. Nothing seems to cure the problem. The only time it happens is after I boot up and click on the My Computer icon. Like I said if I leave my pc idle for a while and click on my computer it causes the floppy to start clicking away.
    I have even tried rearranging it in the BIOS and that did not help. Please, any other ideas?
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks hans. I went into the registry and changed the value of No Driver Type Auto Run to 95000000. rebooted and got the same results. The thing that puzzled me is I could not get it to read 95 00 00 00. It kept coming out 95000000 with no spaces. Also there are two ways of installing these numbers. One is Hexadecimal and the other is Decimal. When I used the Hexadecimal I got 0x95000000 (2499805184). Could there be something wrong with the drive itself?
    Catz

Thanks

If you right-click the icon, do you get an option to Modify Binary Data?
    (Screenshot below is with XP - it may not apply to Win98)

You say you changed the data - what was it before?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (4.0 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

If I right click the icon like you asked I get the same small window to enter the numbers. I did not make note of what was there before.
    Catz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try changing the value to 95 hexadecimal or the equivalent 149 decimal.

Thanks

Thanks Hans. I inserted 149 with no zeros and it cleared up the problem. I have re-formated this PC many times in the last five years and never ran into this problem. I am very careful as to what I download into my PC, but I have a feeling something got past me to mess up that part of my registry. All is well now, UNTIL???. Thanks again Hans.
    Catz