Lounger
    Thanks

Network printer invalid / incorrect name

I have a home network with 2 servers (1 x XP, 1 x W2K SP4). There is a Dell printer attached to the XP box which is shared on the network, as are some of the XP folders. Everything was working fine up until about 3 weeks ago, when the W2K system began not to pickup the Dell Printer. I first noticed this when in an aplication (excel, word) the Dell printer (which was the default) was not available. The XP can still use the printer.

I checked the network (from W2K). The folders and the Printer are still visable in "My Network places". The folders are accessable read/write. When I click on the printer I get the message
    "before you can use the printer it must be installed on your computer" I click next and get the message "you entered a printer name that is incorrect or the specified printer is no longer connected to the server". The printer name I see is "DellPhot".

I then went to the "add printer" and tried to add a new network printer using the wizard. Again the wizard was able to see the printer on the XP system but when I highlight the printer the Printer information provided is "the printer name is invalid". When I click on the printer I get "you entered a printer name that is incorrect or the specified printer is no longer connected to the server".

What changed to make this happen ? I dont know. No new softwere, patches, virus scan upto date etc..

I deinstalled and reinstalled the printer on the XP system. No change.
    I disabled all firewalls. No change.
    I powered on/off everything. No change.

Any help much apreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network printer invalid / incorrect name

Also posted in the Windows 2000 forum. To avoid duplication, this thread is locked. Please post all replies in the thread starting at <post:=572,970>post 572,970</post:>.