Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Domain security question (unknown)

An external organisations wants, on occasion, to connect their XP laptop onto our LAN to obtain internet connectivity (and nothing else), to update their own website.

Obviously we would want to prevent them connecting to our Windows 2003 domain, and/or accessing our router, servers and workstations. (To connect to the domain they would need to know an Domain Administrator username and password, of course).

Does anyone have any views on anything else we should look out for, or any way of restricting their access to anything other than to the internet? All comments welcomed!

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Domain security question (unknown)

John,

Which XP version is on the notebook? If it is XPH they can't join the domain anyway. Although, they can still access your shared folders and devices with appropriate permissions. You need to verify what you allow a Guest to do. Do they really need to physically connect to your LAN? Couldn't you have them VPN in and route the connection where you want it?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know (yet) what version of XP the laptop has (but suspect XP Home, since most retail ones are supplied with that).
    Our (domain) Guest account is disabled. I doubt any of the permissions on shares and files include any access for Guest, but I'll check tomorrow.
    I have no idea how one would VPN from a laptop physically connected on one of the Ethernet sockets of our LAN...!

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I guess I'm not sure what I meant by the VPN connection. Do they have to physically connect to your LAN? Can they use a wireless hotspot somewhere to do the same thing?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, their only means of getting the internet connection is via a physical connection to an ethernet socket.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...