Star Lounger
    Thanks

disk demounts (SR2)

Demounted disks have occurred in my computer only rarely previously - once after a power failure, again at installation of a new defective main board. But it has happened again with no apparent cause. Partition Magic provides an easy test. MS provides a fix - run chkdsk multiple times which seems to work. My problem is that it doesn't stay fixed. After a few emails or a little poking around on the internet it recurrs. Does anyone have an idea where to look for the cause of the recurrence? It apparently is something sorta random that happens at intervals of a few minutes. The symptom is that the curser locks up and you cannot input any control information from the keyboard or curser. I will appreciate any ideas.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: disk demounts (SR2)

Do you mean that if you re-boot your system the disk is not found by Windows? By the BIOS? Have you opened the PC and checked all the cables? Have you run any other diagnostics? A hard system lock up can be difficult to diagnose. It could be a heat issue. It could be a memory problem. If you are running chkdsk repeatedly and it is fixing errors you've got a hardware problem. You most likely need to replace the disk.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you suspect that your hard drive is failing, use the utility to check it.

For example, for Maxtor and Quantum hard drives (it also works on Western Digital, Seagate and other drives):

The PowerMax utility v 4.21

Please note: it will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected to embedded or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 4, VIA KT 600 and KT800 chipsets.

Thanks

>The symptom is that the curser locks up and you cannot input any control information from the keyboard or curser. I will appreciate any ideas.
    -----------------------------------------------

I know this sounds unrelated but I had VERY similar symptoms and I cleared them up by going to Tools>Internet Options>
    Under Temporary Internet files, click settings.
    Under "check for newer versions of stored pages", I have checked everytime you start IE . It was for some reason changed to "every visit to the page, and WOW did that slow things up and made it seem that all was hung up. Cursor, keyboard had no response until IE finally did it's checking.

It's worth a look see.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!