3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

network connections on bootup

My machine is connected to a small workgroup. When I boot up, it doesn't actually connect with the network drives unless I go into Explorer and actively open each one. This is a minor pain. Can anyone suggest a way of getting them to see the other network drives automatically? I'm in XP pro.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network connections on bootup

What you've described (I think!) is normal behaviour for Windows. Even though your machine knows there is a LAN, it doesn't open all network machines or shares by default. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "connect." If you want one or more network shares to appear on your machine as drive letters, you would have to MAP those as such. You can do that in Explorer by right-clicking on a share and choosing the menu for mapping. Be aware that mapping network shares does cause a small amount of "slowdown" in your machine's performance. It may not be noticeable unless several shares are mapped. If I've got this all wrong, please come back and explain a little more about what you see and what you WANT to see.

PS Since you've said you're running XP Pro, I'm going to move the thread to that forum.

Thanks

I would map to the drives you want to (re)connect to and select the "Reconnect at logon" option...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had to take a few minutes to go off and make this attachment so I could explain the procedure I use as an alternative to mapping. I don't normally need the functionality of mapped drive letters, so here's what I do. Open Explorer and drill down in the left pane so you can see the shares on a machine (#1) you're interested in. In the LEFT pane, right-drag the share you want to see up to (#2) My Network Places and choose to create a shortcut. When you're finished, you'll see (#3) that list under My Network Places whenever it's expanded. Also, if you open the My Network Places icon on the DESKTOP, the aforementioned shares are always directly accessible.

Edited I had the #2 rectangle in the wrong location; graphic modified. Sorry!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

many thanks to both--Leif's suggestion didn't seem to work, since I had that reconnect box ticked anyway. But Bigaldoc's does. Many thanks indeed