Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted spaces showing up (2002, SP3)

My coworker has been having an unusual problem, apparently for awhile. We both work on the company specification files. When she prints these files, occasionally a word will print with a space between letters. There is no extra space in the electronic file, and when I print the same file, it prints fine. Reprinting the file from her computer does not help.

We are both running Word 2002, SP3 on a Dell Dimension 2400. I have a Lexmark Optra S 1255, and she has a Lexmark Optra S 1625. I updated her printer driver using the same driver I got from Lexmark, and she is still having problems. The one difference in the printer set up is my printer is a local printer, and hers is a network printer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unwanted spaces showing up (2002, SP3)

Do you have access to the network printer from your PC? If so, what happens if you print the document to the network printer?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have access. The problem is apparently with her printer, because I get the same extra space when I use her printer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could try different drivers - see Drivers and Downloads.

Lounger
    Thanks

We've tried that, but we must use the same set of drivers from Lexmark, or it really messes up the specifications. I just found something new though. If she changes the font used in the specifications, the extra spaces go away. Why would that happen? Unfortunately, changing the font is not an option we can use.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps the printer has an option to print TrueType fonts as graphics instead of using built-in fonts. If so, try toggling this setting (turn if on if it was off, or off if it was on).

Lounger
    Thanks

No, it doesn't have that option. The default setting was "substitute device font." I changed it to the only other choice "download as Softfont." That did not solve the problem. I don't know how long this has been a problem; she only told me a few days ago.

Lounger
    Thanks

AH-HA!! Problem solved! My boss changed a setting on the network. We switched to a new server about 3 months ago, and it seems he installed the wrong driver on the network itself. My coworker didn't notice the problem until recently, because I handle most of the specs.

Thank you for your time and help. It is much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phew, glad it's solved!