2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Parent/Child relationships (or, whose your daddy?) (2000-SR1)

With two tables related with a one-to-many relationship, to set up a form and sub-form based on these tables...as a general rule (or maybe an absolute rule), should the "One" be set as the parent, and the table with the "Many" be set as the child, or does it matter?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Parent/Child relationships (or, whose your daddy?) (2000-SR1)

The "usual" way is to create a main form based on the "one" side table, and a continuous (or datasheet) subform based on the "many" side table. The advantage is that Access will automatically fill in the link field(s) in the subform. If you do it the other way round, the user could fill in an entire record on the "many" side, only to discover that it cannot be saved because there is no parent record on the "many" side.

An alternative would be to create two separate forms. The "many" form could contain a combo box to let the user select a parent from the "one" side.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Parent/Child relationships (or, whose your dad

Thanks, Hans. (And boy, am I embarrassed to see that I said, "Whose" your daddy, rather than "Who's"!)

Warren

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pursuant to the above, I have the form/subform set up and working as it should (automatically filling in the link fields correctly, etc.). This database though is maybe a little out of the ordinary as it deals with students (literally, the child side) and their families (the parent side!). It is really student-based, but there may be more than one student belonging to a particular family. This is primarily being used for planning, ordering, etc. for a once-a-year graduation ceremony. What I would like to setup for the data entry form (which basically happens once a year), is a way to quickly search to see if the new student already has his/her family already present, then add the new record linked to that family. (Is there a way to set up the

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One way would be put a search combo box on the main form. The easiest way to create one is to turn on control wizards (this is controlled by the second button on the Control Toolbox, the one with the magic wand), and then place a combo box on the form. Select the 3rd option, then click Next and follow the instructions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How could I get it then to display that record in the "frmParentInfo" form (which has the "frmStudentInfo" subform), so that I can edit that record?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The combo box wizard will write the code needed for you.