Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Word startup path reg key (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

The reg key for the Word startup path is

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0Common GeneralStartup
    and the data value is: STARTUP.

Ive changed the Word startup path to different locations and this value remains the same STARTUP.
    doesnt it accept a path like the other Word file location paths eg C:Program Files...etc

diana

Thanks

Re: Word startup path reg key (Word 2002 /XP SP3)

I think that is a default value that can be overriden for an individual application. For example, look for this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0WordOp tionsSTARTUP-PATH

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I search for the Word startup path in the registry, I find this key (with custom startup path):

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0WordOp tions
    STARTUP-PATH value is "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11WrdStart"

But for end-users we also have policies set, including the startup path, which override the value in the key above, in this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftOffice11 .0WordOptions
    STARTUP-PATH value is "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11WrdStart"

This means that end-users cannot change the startup path in Word | Tools | Options

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that .

Yes I found the registry keys for the startup path.

The problem Im having is on our new Citrix server (remote terminal server) the sys admin guys have changed the startup path location of our Word templates.
    The usual location is C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates

On Citrix the templates are now located under the users profile in
    Cocuments and Settings<user name>Application DataMicrosoftTemplates

Normally this isnt an issue...but for some reason on the new Citrix Server Word thinks the templates are located at location C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates
    So an error is generated as a new document is created the template location has changed.
    The templates are not hardcode with startup paths. It just picks up the path from the Startup.
    Ive checked the registry keys for Startup and all appear to be correct.

So I'm a bit stumped at what else to look for, or a workaround <shrug>
    diana

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Could this be a versioning problem?

If I read your mail correct, you are running XP (10.0).
    Does that apply to the Citrix as well, so that even though it looks as if your System is Win XP, which would give you the Cocuments and Setting... as default, then your XP office version looks for C:Program Files....

I'm not sure in which office version the actual change was implemented, but a year ago, we changed from O2000 to O2003 and I noticed similar oddities.

Try to compare the results you get, when reading directly from the registry key and what you get from the App itself through:
    Options.DefaultFilePath(wdStartupPath)

I changed our app to use Options.DefaultFilePath(wdStartupPath) instead of the reg key. In that way I always reflect what's in there "now".
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know anything about Citrix, but I wonder where the Startup path comes into play here. Because the Word Startup path is the place for global templates, not for regular templates. These can be found in one of two places: workgrouptemplates path and usertemplates path. The latter is usually "Cocuments and Settings<user name>Application DataMicrosoftTemplates" for the Windows+Word versions you use. Corporate templates can best be stored in the workgrouptemplates path. You'll find both paths in Tools | Options | tab File locations.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan - good point, fully agree. Sounds like the issue is more sort of which of the template paths that is being pointed at. (User or Workgroup...)

Just read from Dianas mail that she was focusing on the Startup path and took that at face value.
    In the workaround I described, I actually read all the settings from the "Tools" - "Options" - "File locations" dialog, incl. User and Workgroup template paths.
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work