2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing/removing the Table style (Word XP)

Hi everyone,

Several of the authors I support are having their tables suddenly change formatting. The "trigger" seems to be when they copy text out of other documents and paste it into theirs, but not always.

I've narrowed down the cause. The "Table Style" for the messed up tables is usually some style they don't want. The usual culprit is "Table of Figures". However, if I delete that style completely, Word seems to pick some other style to apply, seemingly at random.

I'll admit that I'm new to this "Table Style" thing. I only learned about when I did "Reveal Formatting" to one of the table cells and saw it. So my question is, how do you change the Table Style for a table? It seems that if I apply a style to all the cells, the Table Style doesn't change (though it does change the formatting of the cells temporarily; at some point however the Table Style formatting seems to pop up again).

Thanks in advance. You folks are the best.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing/removing the Table style (Word XP)

Unfortunately, table styles are a half-baked idea in Word 2002 and 2003. The idea behind them is good, but the implementation is inconsistent and lacking. You could try applying a different Table AutoFormat, but make sure to make a backup copy of the document first.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Table styles are choosable in the same way that you apply paragraph and character styles. By default, there are over 20 tables styles in all documents but they are hidden from view. If you customise the styles (at the bottom of the Styles task pane) you can show some of the table styles.

To see which table style is currently applied to a table, change the style of the current paragraph in the table to 'Normal' - the name of the table style will appear in the style box instead of the paragraph style that it would otherwise show. I don't think you can have a table without a table style in Word 2002 and 2003.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One help would be to instruct users to Edit | Paste Special | Unformatted Text and in that manner they aren't copying formating or styles.

Thanks

Copying and pasting less than an entire paragraph should be safe. Can they try to avoid selecting any paragraph or end-of-cell markers in the source document? Alternately, Edit>Paste Special..., Unformatted Text might work around the problem, at the cost of removing direct formatting.