Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How to make the Google search bar longer? (IE

You are right.
    Wonder how that happened? I did not notice it until you pointed it out.
    I will probably be installing IE 7 Beta 2 again this afternoon along with the IE6 spoof to see how that works.
    Maybe then I can see just what you have mentioned.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Bob

Yes, that's fine, but it needs another line to show the Google bar, whereas I understood that one of the principles of IE7 was to reduce the number of toolbar lines that were shown! If all else fails, I suppose I will need to do it this way...

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

How about?

Screenshot shrunk by HansV - it was far too wide.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

This

Max Stevens [MSFT] (Expert):
    Q: are there any plans to make the location of the address bar and search box configurable in IE7?
    A: I mentioned previously in response to an earlier question that we know we've made a lot of tradeoffs and that there's a lot of improvement we can make for customization in IE. For 7, the level of customization available is unfortunately not going to change greatly between beta2 and when we ship. We're looking at this for our next release though.

is from Internet Explorer Chat (May 11, 2006). Unfortunately, it appears you're out of luck for IE7. I wish they'd allow a bit more customization of the whole IE7 'above the page' look including toolbars, options, placement, order, etc. As far as reducing the number of toolbar lines goes, MS has done that with the default installation of IE7.

Joe

Thanks

John,
    At least for me, this scheme works out much better than that tiny Search Bar crammed onto the upper corner of the screen.
    I think that MS assumes too much when trying to stick to the strict protocol of the program outline. There has to be more configurable features available when coming out with a new "face". You would think MS would know that by now.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe and Bob!

It seems that the great Firefox killer has feet of clay (to mix mataphors...!).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A mataphor - is that a cross between a matador and a metaphor?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That's the one! You remember the old conundrum which starts: "When is a matador not a matador?"...!

John

PS my excuse is that this is a rubbish keyboard on an ancient NT4 box in Beverley Public Library...! And the Insert key is where the Delete key is on my usual machines, so I stray into overtype mode...

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Skitter - I also want the search box from the IE browser to be set to Google - how did you do it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can download and install a little .reg file from Make Google your Default; it's in the 'Make Google Your Default Search Engine' section.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12