3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Locking software - USB drive

I've just got an 80Gb USB external hard drive. It came with some software to password protect the drive, but this software has to be installed on a computer before the USB drive can be accessed. The point of the exercise is that the USB drive needs to be able to be plugged into any computer without having to install software (think temporary use of a computer at a different office).

Does anyone know of any reliable software that can reside on the USB drive itself that will force a password whenever the drive is plugged in?

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locking software - USB drive

In <post:=573,949>post 573,949</post:> Bob Bell asked the same question and so far only two of us have responded. Note that I've no experience with doing it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I use TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows XP/2000 and Linux on my HDD (and CD, DVD) but didn't realize it could do this:

[i]"Create a TrueCrypt file container on the USB flash drive (for information on how to do so, see the chapter Beginner's Tutorial, in the TrueCrypt User Guide). If you leave enough space on the USB flash drive (choose an appropriate size for the TrueCrypt container), you will also be able to store TrueCrypt on the USB flash drive (along with the container

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is exactly what the 'doctor' ordered. Thanks Alan.
    David

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 16-Jun-06 17:13. Added url code)</P>Dolly,
    I had somewhat the same problem, that is until I found Password Protect USB. I just posted it in here. http://www.password-protect-software.com/
    It is installed on the USB drive, and the password can be accessed from the PC. I am now able to share that drive.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Password Protect looks good but is not free. In that respect True Crypt makes better sense.

I've been using True Crypt for several weeks now without problems, although it is quite difficult to understand.

David