3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combos for Dates (Access2003 SP2)

I am setting up a database with lots of dates and I need to have three combos for each date field to facilitate data entry, that is, one combo each for day, month, and year. The Record Source for each combo comes from either a table of days (1 to 31), a table of months (Jan-Dec), or a table of years (1920-2007). A simple DateSerial code compiles the data from the three combos to form the actual date and that part works perfectly.

The problem is that when I start using any combo whether the day, month, or year, the next record gets populated with the same data.

As always, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combos for Dates (Access2003 SP2)

Can you provide some details, for example about the code behind the combo boxes?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

There are two forms in this sample. The projects form has a tasks subform with start and end date combos. As soon as a start day is entered, the same data is duplicated into the next record. Of course, I don't want that to happen.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A continuous form actually only contains one set of controls, regardless of how many records are displayed.
    Since the day, month and year combo boxes are not bound to a field in the record source, they will display the same values in all visible records, so for example when you select a month in the first record, you will see the same month in all other records. But since the combo boxes are not bound to a field, no data have been copied to the other records. The user will have to select a year in another record before the date will actually be set.

Personally, I wouldn't use three combo boxes to let the user enter a date. I would let the user enter it directly in the text box. If you set its Format to Medium Date, there can be no ambiguity about the interpretation of a date, but the user can still enter it any way he/she likes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Your explanation makes sense. However if the user was desperate to use three combo boxes, how would I go about it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One way would be to replace the date field in the table with separate day, month and year fields. You could then bind the combo boxes to those fields. Bound controls display can different values for each record, so this would get rid of the seeming duplication.
    Another solution is to put text boxes over the combo boxes, as in the thread starting at <post:=573,995>post 573,995</post:>. Seems a lot of work for this problem though.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh well. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards
    Nick