Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

print before sending (OE 5.5 for Windows 98)

How can I print an email message before sending it? Sometimes it would be better to review and edit a message on paper before sending it. The File-Print option is unavailable in Create a New Email. It's not there either if I move the message to the Draft folder.

Betsy Frick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: print before sending (OE 5.5 for Windows 98)

There's probably an easier way, but copy and paste the email to a Word doc and then printing would be one way.

Thanks

If you are on a network with a mail server, it would be easy enough to initially send it to yourself, then print from the inbox when you get it back.
    Not ideal, but at least you should be able to see exactly what the recipient would.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Invest in a 3rd party (therefore more versatile) clipboard, such as Smartboard : try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.smartcode.com/> here </A>
    You can then highlight your message, copy it and print it directly.

btw there are many other advantages to having a half-way decent clipboard. Oakley data Services provide a free (advert supported) version and a purchaseable advert free one. Have a look at their offers.

Rgds

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion about copy-paste email into a Word document so I can print it (to review and edit) before sending. Yours and the other ideas tell me that Outlook Express does NOT provide printing capability for one's own messages. I'm going to plead with Microsoft to add this function to their next release. Think it will do any good?

Betsy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion about sending email to myself so that I can print it (to review and edit) before sending to others.

Yours and the other ideas tell me that Outlook Express does NOT provide printing capability for one's own messages. I'm going to plead with Microsoft to add this function to their next release. Think it will do any good?

Betsy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion about getting a better clipboard. I'll look into it.

Yours and the other ideas tell me that Outlook Express does NOT provide printing capability for one's own messages. I'm going to plead with Microsoft to add this function to their next release. Think it will do any good?

Betsy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I wouldn't hold my breath [ smile] it's a free, simple mail client. They aren't putting a lot of effort into fixing known bugs as it is.

You can save as when you are composing. It saves the mail, including the TO filed entries. Someone posted this trick on a mailing list earlier this morning as a way to save IM contacts to a file.

If you save the file as "filename.txt" inclung the quotes, it's on the drive as a text file and can be printed from notepad or word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have cheated to do it. While working chose close. "Do you want to save this email?" Yes! It goes to the draft file. Click on the un opened item and do file. Print is an option.
    regards,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm, I tried your suggestion. Closed a message I was working on, responded to popup message and placed it in the Draft folder. Tried File-Print from the un-opened, highlighted message and also from the opened message. Neither has a Print option active in my system.

I have IE 5.50.4133.2400, and run it on Windows 98 if that matters. And I don't have any difficulty printing messages that come in from other people, or in printing my own messages AFTER sending them (from the Sent Messages folder).

Betsy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Betsy,
    I just did it again. Creat a new message, File, Close, "do you want to save?" yes. Draft is now highlited with a new/unsent message. Click on Draft, click on the message and File. I have print as an option and it does. I have 98SE with 5.50 4522.1200. I do have save to draft implemented and use Word as my editor everywhere. There may be something else done but I don't know what it may be.
    Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print before sending by saving in the Draft folder does NOT work on my machine. I searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found two articles that apply:

Q182977 says that Outlook Express for Windows 98 does not support printing before sending. So that's probably why. It's not in my budget to upgrade to Windows 2000 or something newer. Sigh.

Q225540 says that printing doesn't work in OE5 for Windows 98 if the Preview Pane is not turned on. I don't have it turned on because it takes up space on my screen and requires more scrolling than I want to bother with. So that's probably why also. Sigh again.

I'll just use the workaround of sending a message to myself when it is important enough to want a printed copy to review and edit. Microsoft is sooooo user unfriendly! But you probably already know that, else why would we all be participating in this Lounge??

Thanks anyway for your ideas.

Betsy

Thanks

Just a thought:
    Is it possible to set the preview pane to be on it Drafts only? - and if so, would that work?
    Otherwise a custom toolbar button to toggle the preview pane on and off?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

Another good idea. I'll see if the preview pane works just for the Draft folder. My guess is that it won't -- other options take effect for the whole of Outlook Express. But it's worth a try.

Custom toolbar -- that maybe, too.

Ditsy-dancing to make Microsoft products to what we need. Love it. Can I bill Bill for the time?

Betsy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

You said the magic words! Here's what's working:

I added the Preview button to the Toolbar. It's a toggle, so when I have a message I'm working on, I can turn it on and then Print becomes available. Yahoo!

I've tested it in Draft folder. Might work as well in the composing mode for New Mail or Reply. NO, I just tested New Mail and Reply and the Preview button is not available. Have to save/copy to the Drafts folder. That's better than nothing.

You've made my day, week, and month.
    Betsy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast