Thanks

remote access for audio

I have a one-time event that I need to figure out a way to let remote users connect to a Win2K PC to record audio. This Win2K PC has a Breeze license and the people connecting have WinXP (but no Breeze license - else there wouldn't be a problem *sigh*). I know about various remote access programs but can't get Win XP Remote Desktop to work to connect to my Win2K PC. When I run Remote Desktop and give it the IP address of the Win2K I get an error that it couldn't connect (nothing more detailed).

I was able to connect from the Win2k PC to the WinXP using the terminal server (downloaded from some MS site). I wonder if the XP version of this doesn't allow connections to non-XP systems.

My REAL problem is that I need these remote users to record audio from their PCs and have it captured on this remote PC running Breeze. Do any of the various remote access programs let you do that or is it just keystroke stuff?

Worse case I can get them to use the audio recording features built into PowerPoint (it works fine but we won't get the super cool stuff that Breeze adds).

Thnx,
    Deb

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: remote access for audio

Hi Deb

I use Remote Desktop Connection to get into various 2K3 Servers.

To be able to this you will have to "Allow" users to do this.

1) Right hand mouse click My Computer
    2) Properties
    3) Remote Tab
    4) Click "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"
    5) Apply OK
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

This Windows XP: Remote Desktop Connection Software Download page explains that the Remote Desktop Client software that you may install on a Win2k, NT, 98Se, etc. (older Windows OSes) allows you to connect to an XP based machine not FROM an XP machine to the older OS. Also, see Windows XP: Get Started Using Remote Desktop for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Ahhhh, ok you confirmed my suspicions that it won't work from XP to 2K (down level OS). I am curious though if in general, you can record audio from this type of remote connection. The person would be talking into their microphone but I wanted the file (.wav, .mp3) to physically get stored on the remote PC.

For Jezza who also replied, my Win2k is not Win2K server so I don't have the Remote tab in the MyComputer/Properties.

My solution for now is to have each person record their own audio files and send them to me to build into the presentations manually (I can import the files).

Thanks,
    Deb

Administrator
    Thanks

I'd suspect that unless you've got a really high speed network (gigabit or faster) and can configure some buffering mechanism that you'd have trouble with the quality in the resulting file if you record over your network. If you've seen what network traffic can do to a streaming broadcast you've got some idea of what could happen to your file - realizing of course that you probably are not going to have the internet overhead.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

True, good point. This would be for users who would connect remotely via VPN. They're work collegues in other countries or branch offices. Ah well, I was stretching for ideas...

Thnx,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to Microsoft's Frequently Asked Questions About Remote Desktop
    <hr>Remote Desktop in Windows XP Professional uses Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 5.1. Some of the new features added to RDP 5.1 are support for 24-bit color, audio redirection, smart card redirection, COM port redirection, local network printer redirection and disk drive redirection. Additionally, RDP 5.1 has better compression, improved performance, and virtual channel compression.
    <hr>
    StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks

The OP's problem was wanting to control an older (win2k) machine from an XP machine. You can't do this with Remote Desktop. You can install client software on a machine with an older OS and control and XP or 2k3 machine.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for clarifying, I had understood that but wanted to cover the question of whether remote audio could be done at all.

> I am curious though if in general, you can record audio from this type of remote connection.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks

I see now. I'd guess that as with most remote activities the level of satisfaction will have more to do with network quality & speed than the hardware & software at either end. Presupposing (because I wouldn't want to assume) that the hardware and software are of relatively recent vintage.

Joe
    Joe