Thanks

Help, computer not booting past boot menu

Hi,
    I

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help, computer not booting past boot menu

Hi,
    Maybe some more information will help. More specifically which parts did you test in your machine, and which did you find bad.

When you say you think you have tried almost everything; could you mention something you have tried. Otherwise some may suggest somthing you already have tried.

An obvious comment at this stage is if you have checked all connections inside your machine, but I guess you have already checked onee extra time.

Another thing that just comes to mind is booting from Windows CD and use Recovery Console, not to recover anything, but take a look at the boot.ini. If you somehow in your testing got a corrupt bootmenu this can happen.

Another thought: since we don't know which parts you put in your PC, you know about the Windows XP activation "feature" and all this? Well if one does change to much components it can trigger a re-activation. One file checked early in boot process is the wpa.dbl (I think, I'm not on my main machine, this is a post from an ancient 3.11 machine). This file is changed when you change components, some people keep a backup. Maybe yours have become corrupt.

Regards,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.

The parts that I tested in my computer were the power unit, power button, hard drive.

I also cross tested this in the other computer (apart from the hard drive) to see if my components would work in theirs.

Currently I have my SATA drive connected via a SATA cable to my SATA1 connection on the mobo. Sata power cable connected to the power

The UDMA hard drive is connected via the normal cable to the blue master slot on the mobo.

The other slot connects the optical drives to the mobo in the normal way.

I've reconnected the wires for the button controls onto my motherboard.

When the system starts up it literallty doesn't boot. The screen comes up with the normal blurb of the bios version, etc. And has a message to press F11 for boot menu. Which doesn't work. To me it seems as if there is no hard drive being recognised. I also cannot progress past this screen.

Where should I go from here.

Can I boot from the CD if its asking me to press F11?

Or are there other options?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have experience with SATA drives, nor the boads they connect to, but I imagine the same things would apply against the IDE units I'm familar with.

You mentioned its connected to the SATA1 location. Is there a SATA0 connection you could try? In the computer world, "most" times 0 is first, then second is 1.

Is it possible your BIOS needs to be reconfigured to recognize your hard drive again? Seems kind of weird - but possibly a solution.
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

Nigel,
    --------------------------------------
    The parts that I tested in my computer were the power unit, power button
    -------------------------------------
    A quick thought came to mind when you mentioned this.

Did you actually MOUNT and install the PSU or just plug in the cables with the unit sitting free near the case?
    I mention this because if it were UNMOUNTED, there would be the possibility of a difference in ground ( or earth ) potential when the unit was powered up. This in turn could cause a bit of serious damage to the MB and other components.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!