Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 ANSI to Unicode conversion issues (2003 SP2)

This is kind of a two part question and it's something I sort of regret doing now, but my pst size is pushing 2 GB so I thought I'd give it a try. I've been archiving for some time now and I thought I'd save myself some trouble...ha! Anyhow, I'm sure many of you have done the same (converting your pst from ANSI to Unicode) and in going through this process, an old problem has reared its ugly head again. When I was attempting to install the Unicode universal font or whatever they call it, I went into add/remove programs to click "change" on my Office 2003. It gave me this tired old error that I thought I had solved.

Windows Installer

The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

Ahh, fun stuff. Now will someone remind me again please about using the LISTool. I use that app to fix this issue, right? I ran it, clicked on Office 2003, it went through the process but when I go back to "change" Office, I get the same error over again.

My other question is related specifically to the process of converting my pst. At this point I have two personal folders that are in Outlook since I haven't really finished the process. Once I get the Unicode font installed there seem to be no further instructions available as to what steps to take next. Do I delete my ANSI pst? What about my mail rules, POP accounts and other settings?

Please advise [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks a ton in advance!

-Stephen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 ANSI to Unicode conversion issues (2003 SP2)

Stephen, if you are running Windows XP, you should not need to install Unicode fonts - see MS Office Online - Install the universal font for Unicode. Are you on XP? Have you determined that you need to Install unicode fonts?

That aside, the conversion to Unicode PST is a matter of copying PST content from the ANSI PST to the Unicode PST. On a standalone application you should not lose your POP3 settings or Rules, but you'll need to point the default Inbox to the new Unicode PST. I'm not where I can access a standalone Outlook client (I'm on the company server), but I think the steps for resetting/repointing the default PST and mailbox are: Tools | Options | Other | Advanced Options | in the "Startup in this Folder" part of the dialog, Browse to the Unicode PST. Then under Tools | Email accounts | View or change | Next in the "Deliver new email to the following location" dropdown select the Unicode PST (you may have to Browse to it again). As soon as you do it should become the default for all incoming messages and new items you create.

I would save the ANSI PST as a backup for at least a few months, until satisfied that the new PST is complete and without significant problems.

Hope this helps, post back if not.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,
    Thank you for your reply!
    Nope, I'm running 2K Pro. I went to install the Unicode font as per the instructions I was reading. I've had a copy of XP for years but have been chicken to run the upgrade for fear of losing all my settings and customizations and don't want to spend the days necessary to reinstall everything with a fresh install. That aside, yeah, I'm running Windows 2000 Pro. Can you give me help with the Windows Installer/LISTool issue I'm having? I read somewhere in a Lounge post that someone recommended copying the entire Office 2003 CD contents to a system folder. I haven't tried that yet. Do you have any ideas?
    Thanks!
    -Stephen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't have direct experience wiith your installation problem or the LIS Tool, but see if Office Online - Change the Local Installation Source After the Installation, and the download link on that page, helps.

Perhaps another Lounger can help, and you may want to post the Installation issue in the General Windows Solutions Forum.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will do. Thanks for your help!
    -Stephen