New Lounger
    Thanks

Migrating VPN and Printer settings on XP (XP SP2)

I'm coming to the end of migrating to a new computer, both Win XP SP2 and I got stuck on two important areas. How to transfer the 30+ VPN connections and the 100+ printer settings. As I travel from customer to customer I have got in the habit of setting up a local site printer for use on future visits and leaving it. It save all the problems of finding the IP address / network printer connections etc. etc on the next visit.

Well I found the solution to migrating the VPN info which I like to share here. There are two files, c:documents and settings{All Users, YourUser}Application DataMicrosoftNetworkConnectionsPbkrasphone.pbk which hold the public and private VPN connections respectively. Copy them to the new PC, logout and login and the VPN's now appear in your Network Connections. CAUTION: If you had setup any connections on your new PC they will be wiped out by this process - I know of no method to merge the old and the new.

Turing to the printer, I found the Migration Wizard would only offer to transfer "Network Printers". But even when I selected that, it actually failed to transfer one printer to the new computer. But the vast majority of my printers are local IP printers and those were completely ignored by the wizard. I know it will be a complex operation because all the drivers, etc., will also have to be transferred but shame on Microsoft for not incorporating this feature into the wizard. Can anyone offer any tips and advice on how I can accomplish this. Or even a simple "Give up, it can't be done" would be useful to stop me searching in vain.

Thanks for reading this far and even more thanks for a reply.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Migrating VPN and Printer settings on XP (XP SP2)

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Print Migrator 3.1

This tool will work on Windows XP computers also.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Migrating VPN and Printer settings on XP (XP SP2)

So few words, so much help.

Thank you indeed.