3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gmail/Googlemail

In the UK It still seems impossible to sign up for a GoogleMail account on the basis of a text message send to a mobile (cell) phone. I would very much appreciate a free invitation from some kind person in the States :-)

Nick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Gmail/Googlemail

I'm not in the USA, but if you send me a private message with a valid e-mail address, I can send you an invitation for GMail.

(To send a private message, click on my username, then click on the envelope button next to my username in my profile)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it worth having a Gmail account? If so I'd be happy to receive an invitation - and also to pass some forward in turn.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Gmail is very handy, I use it a lot - see About Gmail for an overview. But don't use it for confidential stuff.

If you woul like to receive an invitation, send me a private message as described in my reply to NickThorp, with a valid e-mail address to send the invitation to.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much indeed Hans for the invitation - that's really good of you.

Regards

Nick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again Hans - I thought I might use Gmail to store certain files. Is there a particular reason to be worried about security?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Google's Gmail Privacy Policy states
    <hr>Google's computers process the information in your messages for various purposes, including formatting and displaying the information to you, delivering advertisements and related links, preventing unsolicited bulk email (spam), backing up your messages, and other purposes relating to offering you Gmail.<hr>
    Your mail is scanned for the purpose of displaying advertisements related to the contents of the mail. Although I have no reason to suspect that Google will abuse this, I still wouldn't use GMail to store highly confidential data. Apart from that, it's a great service.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did know about the scanning side, but I suppose one does need to be cautious with very sensitive material. Thanks for all your help - talk to you again sometime.

Nick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to Hans I now have gmail and I'm happy to share up to 10 of my invitations with Woody members.
    Send me an email (click on my profile and you'll see it) and I'll respond with an invitation
    This will count down to zero at which point I'll delete this post (or edit it to remove the offer)

Invitations remaining <font face="Comic Sans MS"> <font color=6495ed> <big> 10</big> </font face=comic> </font color=6495ed> <big> <font color=blue> <font face="Comic Sans MS">9</font face=comic> </font color=blue> </big> <font face="Comic Sans MS"> <font color=ff8c00> <big> 8</big> </font color=ff8c00> </font face=comic>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wait awhile - probably less than a month and you should see 100
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed
    "Somebody left the cork out of my lunch." - W. C. Fields

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A friend of mine suggested once an interesting application of Gmail: using it as a backup for, e.g., another account or a mailing list for which you don't have a safe solution yet to store all messages and attachments... anyone else has been using Gmail for that? (Although I can imagine they are not too happy with that kind of 'users')
    Hasse

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gmail won't store .Exe attachments (and there are probably otherrestrictions), but otherwise I don't see why not.