2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Move to' rule question (2003)

I've got several special rules that automatically move items sent to specific people to specific Outlook folders. Outlook also is set to put sent items in the general sent items folder. So right now whenever I send an email to anyone for whom I have one of the special rules in place (let's call him "Smith"), the sent item ends up in TWO places -- the specific folder where my rules says the sent item should go, plus the general Sent Items folder. I'd like my "Smith" rule to JUST move the item to the Smith folder, and to make sure that the item doesn't also end up in the Sent Items folder. There doesn't seem to be any option in the rules settings to do this. Does anyone know if there's a way?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Move to' rule question (2003)

You could try the following. Test it thoroughly before using it for real!

- Turn OFF the option to save copies of messages in the Sent Items folder (Tools | Options..., Preferences tab, E-mail Options button).
    - For each "special" user or group of users, create a rule to move a copy of items sent to this user/group of users to a specific folder. Also tick the option to stop processing more rules.
    - Finally, create a rule to move a copy of sent items to the Sent Items folder. Make sure that this rule is the last one in the sequence, as a catch-all for all mails that haven't been processed by the other rules.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Move to' rule question (2003)

Well, your idea works perfectly. I guess I just didn't think things through far enough because I couldn't get past my outrage with MS that there wasn't a built-in option for this. I mean, how often would anyone want to use the "when sent, move the item to folder X" option, and ALSO retain a second copy in the general sent items folder?

Thank you for the help.