PatrickKissane

Form Load event doesn't fire (A2000 SR1)

Hi folks,

I have just migrated to A2000 and have encountered something new to me - the 'LOAD' event of my form doesn't fire. The 'OPENED' event works fine, but I have always used the 'LOAD' event for my A97 databases. I this a peculiararity of the later version, or am I missing something?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form Load event doesn't fire (A2000 SR1)

The Load event fires just the same as it did in earlier versions. You can prove it by putting a messagebox in the event procedure. You'll usually see it fire several times.

What are you trying to do in Load that isn't working?
    Charlotte

PatrickKissane

Hi Charlotte,

I tried exactly that before I posted earlier - 'Msgbox "Hi!"' - and nothing fired - not even stepping through code would work.

I usually initialise some variables, set some control defaults etc, in the 'Load' event - does anyone know what side effects I will experience shifting such code to the 'Open' event?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Then you may have a corrupted form or at least a corrupted module. I don't ordinarily use the Load event in Access because it isn't quite the same event as in VB. Open works just fine and in fact, there are things that will fail in Load that will work in the Open event. You'll just have to play with them a bit to find out what they might be. Also, the Load event may fire multiple times, but the Open event only fires once for a form, so I prefer to set object variables and such in the Open event.
    Charlotte

PatrickKissane

Good advice - thanks Charlotte!