2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Fields and Printing (2003/SR2)

Hi there,

We have been using 2003 for quite some time and have always had the "Update Fields" option (via Tools, Options, Print) selected.

I've found in the last two weeks or so, however, when printing documents containing TOC's, on carrying out a print, the user is prompted to update TOC (entire/page numbers only) before the print box appears. This never happened before and I don't want to have to deselect the "Update Fields" (on print) option. Has anyone else noticed this, or had the problem and been able to rectify it?

Thanks in hope.

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update Fields and Printing (2003/SR2)

I think Word will display the prompt if any headings have been added/deleted/modified since the TOC was last updated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I know what it's doing and why, but it's only started doing that in the last week or two.

Previously we could click print or press ctrl+P, and only the print dialog box would appear. Clicking OK to print at that point would cause any and all fields in a document to update. Now, however, on clicking print or pressing ctrl+P, a prompt to update TOC appears first (as per screen shot attached) and only after that does the print dialog box appear - definitely not what happened previously.

Does knowing that make any difference?

Thanks

V
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could it be that you have included a field in one of the headings that makes Word think the headings have changed each time? Or could a global macro have been introduced that hijacks the Print command?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Apologies for not replying sooner, things have been pretty chaotic.

The prompt appears even when the document has just been opened to print, no changes made at all. Nothing has changed about our global template(s) at all either. I have noticed that it is relative ONLY to TOC fields, no other fields. For example, if I insert a filename and path into a blank document, save the document then print, the print dialogue box appears immediately - click OK, filename and path updates, document prints. As soon as you introduce TOC fields, the prompt appears.

Incidentally, if the document is saved to the desktop and printed from there (i.e., right click on the document, choose Print), the prompt doesn't appear. I'm stumped. I think it's got something to do with the printers themselves because nothing's changed about out macros or templates. Any other enlightenment is more then welcome!

Regards,

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I have no idea.