3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Application freeze (Alt-Tab) (Access 2002 SP3)

We are working on an application with an Access XP front-end and SQL Server back-end. On startup various list forms are populated in sequence. The problem we have is that if a user presses Alt-Tab during the startup process to switch to another application the Access application freezes, and has to be closed down & restarted.

A couple of questions :

1. Why should this be happening

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Application freeze (Alt-Tab) (Access 2002 SP3)

1) I haven't seen that happen - is the startup code using SendKeys, or does it use Windows API calls to send messages to the current front window in Windows, or something like that?
    2) It may be possible, but I'd be very reluctant to disable Alt+Tab. If something goes wrong (and things DO go wrong, as you have found), the user is stuck.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is your front-end Access database an ADP or an MDB with ODBC linked tables? We use the later for most of our projects, and have not seen that behavior - we probably have close t0 400 clients working in applications with a local MDB connected to a SQL Server back-end. I'm not aware of any problems with ADPs either, but we use that approach very infrequently. I have however seen cases where a list box or a combo box is being loaded with several thousand records, and that can be pretty slow, especially if there are joins involved. If that is you case, you might consider creating a SQL View to improve the performance of the populate process.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Hans, Wendell

Thank you for your comments. The application is an mdb which connects to the SQL back-end using pass-through queries. There are no linked tables.

As you suggested we looked in detail at the startup process - when we cut down the number of forms opened by the startup from 3 to 1 the problem went away. Not really sure what caused it, but that seems to be the solution.

Thanks again for your help

Nick