5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Subform/Report (2003)

I've been asked to create a form that will eventually be printed out as a report. There are a few of the sections on the report which will be tables. To achieve this I intend creating subforms. What I want to know is, when the report is printed, can I make the information from the main report, print directly under the sub-report, whether it contains 10 lines or 2. I think what they want to achieve is no empty 'white space'. Hope I am making sense.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subform/Report (2003)

Sections in a form / report and controls on a form / report (including subforms / subreports) have properties Can Grow and Can Shrink. if you set these to Yes, the elements will expand and contract as needed in the vertical direction.
    For forms, these properties are only effective when the form is printed or print previewed, not when the form is opened on screen.

Note: I would always design a separate report; a form that looks good on screen will usually not look very good when printed, and a form optimized for printing will usually not look very good on the screen.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ridiculously large picture reduced in size by HansV

What I'm trying to do is something like the attatched image. As you can see there are 6 pages. For each page, I've created seperate tables, but I'm not sure if that's what I should have done. I thought using tabs, I could put each table on a seperate page, but I think all the fields should be on one table. Any suggestions/advice would be welcome. Also, on the pages, the information typed in could be blanked out by a sort of stamp, as in the image, but with the technique information filled in. Is something like this possible in Access.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Tab controls are an excellent tool for organizing a large number of controls on screen, but they are not suitable for printing - only the active tab page will be printed.

It's not clear in your picture what is the main report and what is the subreport.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thats the problem I've got. The ones begining with 'Tool Strip' will have to be subforms, because they can grow or shrink. Every page is like this. I'm only using access because of it's ability to do this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Text boxes can also grow and shrink. However, neither subreports nor text boxes will do so if you put something on top of them, such as the "stamp" in your picture.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the 'stamp' is used, they won't need to. Apologies for the large image.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Creating the report with text boxes that can shrink and grow shouldn't be too hard, but I don't see how to superimpose the "stamp" on every page. Would it be ok just to have it on the first page?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think, initially it would be ok. We'll get round it somehow

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Having it on the first page would be ok.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, you can use the Can Grow and Can Shrink properties of text boxes and of report sections to make the parts fit to their contents.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. Sorry I haven't replied before, but I've been on holiday. Any ideas on the 'stamp' I mentioned.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can put a non-transparent rectangle or group box on top of the controls you want to hide partially, and put some controls on top of the rectangle.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Discussion has continued in <post:=579,060>post 579,060</post:>. This thread is locked to avoid duplication.