3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Connection but No Internet

All,

Am trying to fix my daughters computer which apparently was hit by a virus. At this point I have reinstalled Windows (XP Home Edition, SP1) over an exhisting copy (I know that is not the best way, but at the very least it will allow me to make backups of data before formatting the disk for a clean install).

Her computer is connected to the family LAN using a Linksys wireless connection to a Netgear router attached to a Linksys cable modem. Prior to her problems, she was able to access the internet and print to the family printer without problems. There are two other computers attached to the LAN, my son's (also using a wireless connection) and mine which is hardwired to the router. These second two computers are working fine.

Now, with the reinstalled Windows, I can get the wireless connection working on my daughter's PC, but cannot access the internet or see the networked printer.

Any suggestions on what I might do to resolve this?

Thanks, Douglas

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Connection but No Internet

<hr>At this point I have reinstalled Windows (XP Home Edition, SP1) over an exhisting copy (I know that is not the best way, but at the very least it will allow me to make backups of data before formatting the disk for a clean install).<hr>
    I am confused by this statement - over an existing copy is basically a repair - it is not the same as formatting and the problem is it does not always fix what was wrong because it does not overwrite all files - often leaving the corrupt ones intact. Was a format and clean install done?

What firewall is used?

From her machine, can you access the menu of the WAP or the Router from her machine? Can the other two PCs see her PC? If you access your router from your machine, does it show her PC in the client tables? If so, check the IP then on her machine open a command prompt and enter: ipconfig and see what hers says.

Finally - do note that you should upgrade all PCs to SP2 ASAP - and the best time is immediately after a format and fresh install - it is not always pretty but by not doing so, that PC IS vulnerable to exploitations and IS a threat to the rest of us!
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────