Lounger
    Thanks

VPN/Network neighborhood

Hello all,
    I have a small network of about 14 computers and we would like to have some computers "remotely" access the network. We have a Westell ethernet bridge running into a Netgear VPN/Firewall which then goes to a switch which in turn goes to the various computers on the network. I DO NOT HAVE A SERVER. Now, I've got a vpn tunnel created using netgear client software on the remote machine and the VPN/firewall on the network end, but i cannot see any of the computers on the network.(This of course is due to the fact that there is no name to ip resolution.(or vise versa)). Besides breaking down and buying a server (which I will eventually do) is there any short term solution using the VPN I have already established? Such as a LMHOSTS file or WINS on a client? Any help will be very much appreciated

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VPN/Network neighborhood

What O/s's are you running at your work site?

Without a 'server' what is it that you trying to achieve accessing at work? - Printing / Peer-Peer sharing?
    Best Regards,

Luke

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VPN/Network neighborhood

You are correct, I believe. You aren't seeing anything in Network Neighborhood because that's netbios info, and it's not transmitted over IP.

However, if you do a "Search .. for Computers" and type in an IP address, Explorer should find it (if everything else is corrrect).

I'm no sure if adding the computers to your LMHOSTS file will help. Couldn't hurt. That miht help you search via name.

I think the "approved" way to do this is to have a WINS server on your network, and on the clients, make sure that the TCP-IP properties have "Netbios over TCP-IP" on and the WINS server specifed. However, I don't know if non-Server OS versions have the WINs service.