Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Word97 Subject and Comments fields

I'll move this to Word forum if you like, but it's really a question about web-stuff.

I'm saving a Word97SR2 document in HTML format. Yes, I KNOW I'm cheap .....

.. I already load the Keywords field with a set of key words, and now I load the Title field with the most interesting paragraph in the document.

I'm pretty sure that the Title is what the browsers show immediately after the "hit" when I do a search, and that the Keywords are the serach engines preference for making a "hit".

I notice that I can also load (and have saved in HTML format) the Subject and Comment fields of the File, Properties, Sumamry dialogue box.

What are suggested contents for these fields in an HTML web page?

Thanks

Re: Word97 Subject and Comments fields

Chris, check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.submitcorner.com/Guide/Meta/>Meta Tags</A>
    I think the Title is what is shown (eg) on the top bar in IE - at the moment it's displaying:
    "Reply to (HTML / JavaScript...) - Microsoft internet Explorer"
    It's the 'Keyword' tag which is what the search engines look for.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The <title> tag contains the text that will appear in the browser's title bar the entire time the page is displaying. Key word tags contain words that are used by most (not all) search engines for indexing your page.

The Word specific Subject and comments fields are not part of the HTML specification. My guess is that they are either dropped when Word converts the document to HTML or Word puts them in some non-standard, MS specific comment field that is ignored by the browser, but read by Word if you edit the page again. In any case, it would be invisible to persons viewing the page in a browser as it has no HTML correlary.

You describe yourself as "cheap". If this is your reason for using Word, you should note that there are many free HTML editors that do a far better job than Word. (Word creates a lot of ugly, bloated, non-standard HTML. Pages it creates display unpredicatably in the browsers, and the superfluous code slows them down.) The only circumstance justifying the use of Word as an HTML editor is for the easy conversion of word processing documents (Word, Word Perfect, RTF) to relatively plain HTML.

Two excellent free HTML editors are "1st Page" and "HTML-Kit". The latter is my favorite and available at W3C. If you don't even want to see the code, use the "Composer" component of Netscape (free), or AOLPress (free and not specific to AOL; just owned by them). Both create cleaner code than Word, and use familiar WYSIWYG editing.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Art, thanks for the informative reply.

> Word puts them in some non-standard, MS specific comment field that is ignored by the invisible to persons viewing the page in a browser as it has no HTML correlary.

Thank you. There's little point me using them. They do appear in the HTML, but if they aren't used by the serach engines, there's little point.

> You describe yourself as "cheap". If this is your reason for using Word, you should

It's my friends (I can only affor two) who describe me as cheap. Something to do with my philosophy of A Second Use For Everything (http://www.vif.com/users/cgreaves/SUFE.htm).

My main purpose in using Word/HTML is/was to develop a utility that could travel Word's Hyperlink and Includetext fields to assemble a web site and, in the process, automatically extract Keywords for the search engines.

> Two excellent free HTML editors are "1st Page" and "HTML-Kit". The latter is my

Thanks for these leads. I'll check them out.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Typical of you, Leif. You place an inncouous little link to a web page and I see about another seven years of fun things I'd like to do (grin!).

great reference, thanks!