2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office Shortcut Bar (2000 / XP / 2003)

Hi,

I just got a copy of MS Office 2003 Premium (thanks for the Small Business Seminar tip!) and will be doing a clean install of Windows XP and Office 2003 on a freshly formatted hard drive.

I have my old copies of Office 2000 and XP, and would like to keep the Office Shortcut Bar. Would there be a problem with installing either Office 2000 or XP first into a different directory (called Shortcut Bar)? The only thing I would install would be the shortcut bar - I wouldn't install any of the main programs. Does it matter which one I use? Would I still have to bother with the Office 2000 or XP service packs?

Or is it better just to forget the shortcut bar instead? I've tried some of the alternatives, like the Windows tool bars and 3rd party solutions, but I still like the Office Shortcut bar the best.

I thought I'd see if anyone out there had experiences good or bad on this matter before I plunge into it.

Thanks,

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Office Shortcut Bar (2000 / XP / 2003)

Better to forget the Office Shortcut Bar, and learn about the new tricks of Windows XP and the up coming Vista versions.

Also, have heard that the Office Shortcut Bar will NOT work with Office 2007 (12)

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Dave. The Quick Launch toolbar in Windows is a good alternative. The Office Shortcut Bar has been abandoned by Microsoft, so there is no support for it any more, and as time goes by, it will become less and less compatible with new developments.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Technically you can use Office 2000 Shortcut Bar with Office 2003 if you will keep any of Office 2000 applications (Word, Excel, etc.) installed. Practically it makes no sense unless you did not upgrade one or more applications to 2003 version (for example, if you are still using Visio 2000). I know that many users miss Shortcut Bar, but it is psychological, not technical problem: other utilities do the same job.

Thanks

Sorry, but it's not just psychological. I use the Office Toolbar extensively at work - I have for years - and it saves me a considerable amount of time. I support several different applications, and I have a separate toolbar tab for each of them. I use different utilities to work with each application, and going to the appropriate toolbar gives me one-click access to everything I need.
    As for 'other utilities', I'd like to know what they are. They finally upgraded us at work from W2k to XP Pro, so I lost my toolbars - I've been searching high and low for a replacement, but all I find when I search for toolbars are the idiotic add-ons that purport to help people browse - Google, Yahoo, Earthlink, MSN - not real toolbars at all.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Silver Lounger
    Thanks