New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading Access Project? (2002 to 2003)

Hello

We have an application that I developed in MS Access XP (2002) which is a compiled project (ade) connected to a SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine. About a dozen clients.

We are about to do an infrastructure upgrade, new servers, desktop pc

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading Access Project? (2002 to 2003)

I don't believe you should have a problem upgrading your ADP project to 2003, but creating a runtime ADE version will require different tools, as the Office Developer Toolkit no longer exists for 2003. Now you need to have the version of Visual Studio that supports Office development. As to your other question, when I last looked at using SQL SErver 2005 Express, the only option for connecting to it was to use ODBC, and that gets really complicated. We finally backed off and used the latest version of the MSDE. At this point it appears that the ADP/ADE format will be still be supported in the next version of Access, but the connection details are still verry fuzzy. I would stick with the MSDE until the Microsoft strategy relating to ADPs becomes clearer. And you should be able to run the 2002 MDE using Access 2003. Design changes and maintenance are another matter however - if you choose not to upgrade, you will need a system that has Access 2002 to create the ADE. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As a followup to Wendell's post, the 2003 packaging tools for Access are in the Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System, familiarly called VSTO. VSTO is part of Visual Studio but it is also a standalone package that you can buy separately and it will install without having VS.2003 on your machine.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your replies, exactly what I needed.

Based on your responses, we will acquire the VS tools for Office, move the clients & ongoing development to Access 2003 and keep the MSDE database.

Regards

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just an FYI regarding ADPs - it isn't clear how much longer they will be supported beyond 2003 - we were told by a knowledgeable sourde at one point that there would be no new feature additions supporting the ADP/ADE format. Since you have cast your development in that direction, it would not make sense to change now, but you may find that it limits your options substatially down the road, and you may be forced to change to the MDB or one of the new formats. Just something to keep an eye on.
    Wendell