Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Search Key Not found (2002)

I'm working on a database that has tblStoreDemographics and contains 1665 records. This database has been live with very few user problems for almost a year. It is run on 6 different workstations. Last week a user made a change to a file and when she hit the save button she got an error which she does not remember and then the dates and nubmers were all converted to gibberish as was some of the text. When she tired to fix the gibberish she gets the error "the search key could not be found". The same error comes up when she tries to delete it. I have tried to delete from the back end vs the form and am unable to do so. How do I get rid of the record. I can't delete it from any computer.

Also, any ideas on what would've corrupted it? None of the other computers are having issues.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search Key Not found (2002)

Apparently a table got corrupted. This can happen if the network connection of the frontend was interrupted for a moment; Access is very sensitive to network hickups.
    Start by making a backup copy of the backend database.
    Then try to open it directly, and do a Compact and Repair (from the Tools | Database Utilities submenu).
    If that fails, download, install and run the free JetComp utility from Jet compact utility is available in download center. This utility can sometimes repair databases that Compact and Repair can't.
    If it succeeds, there will be a table named MSysCompactError. This table will contain details about the corrupt records.
    Otherwise, you can try to copy all records before the problem record(s) to a new tablem and all records after it/them too.
    If all this fails, you can try to import as many tables as possible into a blank new database.
    The final recourse is to go back to a non-corrupt backup, if you have one. You'll lose all modifications made after the backup.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

The compact and repair did allow me to delete the files!! I had already tried creating a new table without etc. with no luck. Thank God that worked. You are amazing and as always a lifesaver!

The error messages in the table that was created make no sense to me and I'm not sure if they would allow for "fixing" the tables or deleting and re-entering the data is the only way to fix, which is fine.

I've attached the error table to see if they make sense to you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The MSysCompactError table reports that there were two records in tblStoreDemographics in which the Description field could not be found (or was corrupt). The ErrorRecID value is a binary value that identifies the records; using it would be too technical.
    The corrupt values have probably been replaced with a string of # characters, so look for # in the Description field. If you find them, you can delete them and type a new text.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much!!