ileacy

Copy to Note Macro

The most frequent thing I do in Outlook while reading mail, is. Select Text, Copy to Clipboard (Ctrl-C), Create New Note (Ctrl-Shift-N), Paste to Note (Ctrl-V), Close Note (Alt-F4). Probably do this about 10-50 times a day to save key info or action items from mails (e.g. WOW).

Pretty fast as it is all keyboard driven, but, I wanted to make it faster. eg. Select Text, File in Note (Ctrl-Alt-N) or click on new Standard Toolbar button. Should be easy, just record a macro.

Ooops. Can't record a macro in Outlook.

Ok. Lets try it as a VB program. Lets see... Selection.Copy, CreateItem, Selection.Paste, ...
    Save macro as "CopyNote".

Now copy the new macro "CopyNote" command from Macros to the Standard toolbar for testing and...

Another Oops. Can't seem to get the right object selected.
    Error 454.

Ok. Back to real basics. Sendkey "^C", Sendkey "^+N", ...

Another Oops. Ctrl-C creates a new contact instead of Copying to clipboard. The second SendKey gets pasted into the contact form, ...

Ok, this is getting past demeaning. Need to get this thing work. [img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img] Ah, ask the wizards at the Lounge.

So how, do I get this and other similar macros to work.

TIA, everyone.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copy to Note Macro

Gosh - if you really, really want to do it the hard way, i suppose i could tutor you - but what's wrong with selecting the text, hold the left button and drag to the notes icon?

(I think it works in all versions of Outlook - from opened message or preview pane.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

BTW - programming in outlook is different than programming in the other office apps - explorers and inspectors are your friends [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I recommend you get an outlook programming book if you are serious about programming outlook - Sue Mosher has one in the 24 hours series (ISBN: 067231651X) and Ken Slovak has two. (ISBN: 0672315491 & 1861003315)

ileacy

You are correct. This is much easier. Only excuse I can offer is that I am in the habit of zooming my message window to full screen. Resized Outlook to full screen and then resized default message window to see Outlook Shortcuts at same time.

Works like a charm. Thanks lots.

ileacy

Thanks for the info. This darn thing has got me intrigued/angry enough to want to learn what is actually going on.

Of course, with my luck, I will get it all figured out just in time for OE10 to break it.

Thanks for the book references. Two of them are in stock at my local bookstore/library so, guess I know what I will be doing tonight.