Lounger
    Thanks

Excel start locations don't persist (2003)

I keep all my user templates in the same folder on almost all my machines: c:alldataeverything elseXlstart. When I install Excel, I change the Tools|Options|General|At startup, open all files in... to point to that folder.

It works fine, but on my most recent acquisition, I want to have the start-up folder be d:alldataeverything elsexlstart, that is, I've put my data files on the d: drive instead of the c: drive.

So...I change the "open all files in " option to point to that folder, I close Excel, I restart it, and voila, there are my startup files ready to go. However, the next day, or the next hour maybe, it doesn't work anymore, that is, before too long, when I start Excel, the startup folder has changed to the c: drive and the setting now reads c:alldataeverything elsexlstart. Since there is no such folder, Excel doesn't open any files at all at startup. I have to change the option, close, restart all over again, and it's getting a little boring.

Oddly enough, I keep my Default file location as d:alldata, and that setting does persist from one week to another.

Is this a bug, is there a fix, or am I missing something?

thanks for any help.

rich

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel start locations don't persist (2003)

Have you checked for a policy that forces the alternate startup location back to C:?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel start locations don't persist (2003)

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked, and now I know why I never heard of policies on my computer--I don't have any policies. Apparently that's because I am running Windows XP Home Edition. Anyway...no policies, thanks. But you've given me the idea to look for general causes, not just within Excel. More testing to follow. Meanwhile, anybody else have any ideas?

thanks,

rich