Star Lounger
    Thanks

Links vs Favorites (IE 6/7)

Hello all,
    I have always wondered what the difference is between a Link and a Favorite or bookmark in IE. To me that work in the same way. I have searched and searched the Internet, the IE web sites and I can find nothing on the definition of a link.

sorry for the basic question.

Bret

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Links vs Favorites (IE 6/7)

You're quite right. Fundamentally, they're all Hypertext that, when clicked upon, will take/launch a browser to a point in a Hypertext page. Typically, bookmarks & favorites are gathered together in a single location. Favorites is the term favoured by Microsoft. Bookmarks is the term otherwise used. Hope That Helps.
    Grüße

Thanks

Both links and shortcuts/favorites/bookmarks contain a web address. And clicking a link or choosing a shortcut/favorite/bookmark causes your browser to navigate to that address. So far, the main difference is storage: links in web pages can change or vanish, while your shortcuts/favorites/bookmarks are firmly under your control. But there is one technical difference in the request your browser sends to the web server that hosts the address: when you click a link, the browser sends "referer" information so that the receiving server knows where you clicked from. When you use a shortcut/favorite/bookmark, the browser sends a blank referer header to the web server, indicating that you simply dropped out of the sky onto that address.

This matters a little bit because the "HTTP_REFERER header" can be more revealing than you might expect. For example, in the case of a Google search results page, the referer information will include everything you see in the address bar, in other words, your exact search query. This is how some pages can display your search terms in bold or yellow highlight when you visit through a search page. Some poorly designed sites might put more sensitive information in the query string, such as a username or the data you submitted to a form. Various security software include a privacy feature to block referer information (e.g., the Norton Internet Security suite). This can cause a few sites to operate improperly -- they don't trust requests to some pages that don't come from their own site -- but usually it doesn't have any bad effects. If you want to visit a site without providing referer information, and you do not have that sort of software, you can copy and paste the URL into the address bar. As with using bookmarks, using the address bar sends a blank referer header to the web server.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I have always wondered why I had both available in IE.

Bret