Thread: Power Question

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Power Question

I've just rebuilt one of my PC's. While doing this I bought a few new components including a "silent" PSU. I've had it working fine, but I had to take it doen again to change disks over, and now it won't power up.

When I switch it on, I get a short (approx 2 seconds) burst of power and the CPU fan starts to spin. Then the power cuts out. I've tried the old PSU and the same happens.

I believe I have tested all connections etc, but can anyone give me any suggestions as to what to try next.

Thanks

Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Power Question

Have you connected the fans to the fan sensors on the motherboard correctly? Lack of fan speed can cause some PSUs to power down.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have no idea. I'll have a good look with the manual in hand.

Thanks

COLin

Thanks

Colin,
    Is this PSU the type with two power plugs ( not counting the fan sensor or P4 plug )?
    If so, are you sure the plugs are oriented so that the black wires on each plug are next to each other on the MB?
    Some MBs will allow the plugs to be reversed for some strange reason.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi BOb

Again, I'll have to have a look. I've got another PC open at the moment.

I'll let you know.

Colin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right I've had a look at the board and manual.

Firstly, this is an old board, so it only has a 20 pin ATX connector, so the "Extra" 4 pins aren't used.

As far as I can see, there's only one connector for the CPU fan and its a shaped one, so I can't configure it wrongly.

So it looks as if these are both OK>

COlin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are there any beeps?

Make sure the CPU fan is securely plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard. If not in the correct header, the PC Health section of the BIOS will think the CPU fan is not working and shut down. This would explain why the problem occurs with both PSUs. Also, make sure all other connections are secure - it is easy to knock things loose when swapping out parts. If the northbridge has a fan, make sure it is in the correct header too. Press on any and all connectors (power and data) connectors to make sure they are seated securely.

With the PC unplugged from the wall, you might try reseating the RAM and the video card too.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Thanks

Colin,

Bill's suggestion about checking ALL plugs and connectors is a good one.
    Also, I hope you weren't too "exhuberant" when pushing in the power connectors. Too much pressure on the MB when inserting plugs can crack one or more of the PC board circuit traces causing an open or intermittent connection. Try holding a slight amount of pressure on the PS plugs while booting. Sometimes this will cause the traces to make contact temporarily. If this does work, you have a printed circuit board repair on your hands.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just to close down this thread. I had time today to look at this problem. I dismantled everything, took the MB out, cleaned all contacts, re-connected etc and it started first time.

So no idea which specific action cured the prob, but its all solved anyway, so thanks to all for their input.

Colin