3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update/WGA

I had thought that it was possible to get security updates even without WGA, and when downloading MSantispyware or similar I've used the standalone validation tool (don't know why I have such an irrational hatred of the WGA, but I do). On my most recent visit to windows update, however, after searching for required updates, I was informed that I needed to upgrade some of the components of windows update before proceeding further, and lists lots of advantages of the new windows update, but under "details" it lists only the WGA tool. This hadn't happened to me before.

Have I missed something? Is this the current pattern? Is the WGA still an ActiveX control I can delete after updating?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows update/WGA

Is this the current pattern?

Yes, it is. You could not install all patches without applying WGA anymore.

Is the WGA still an ActiveX control I can delete after updating?

No, it is not only this. Now WGA includes ActiveX control, WGA Validation Tool (KB892130 - the latest version 3.0) and WGA Notification (KB905474). You can install Update KB892130 through Windows Update website only and there is no uninstall for this patch.

Now you have two options - to install WGA and get all Windows Updates or not to install WGA and get only some security updates.